Dr. Ravi Pavankumar
MBBS, DNB (Ortho). Fellow in Arthroscopy and Arthroplasty Fellow in Shoulder and Elbow surgery Fellow in Pediatric Orthopedics
As Junior Resident in Orthopedics
I worked as a junior resident (post graduate trainee) in the department of orthopedics at B.J Medical College and K.E.M hospital, Pune for three years from February 2009 to February 2012. During this period I worked under professors who specialized in various subspecialties of orthopedics like Trauma, Arthroscopy, Arthoplasty, spine, pediatric orthopedics. In the first six months I was trained in clinical diagnosis, radiological correlation, basic fracture care and trauma management. I actively took part in case presentations seminars and CMEs conducted in our department. During the subsequent postings I was exposed to various intricacies of complex trauma, arthroscopy, arthoplasty, deformity corrections and pediatric orthopedics. I was also responsible for planning and arranging the necessary implants and having the instrumentation necessary for the surgical cases in consultation with the chief consultant and with the aid of the OT staff. I performed closed reductions of dislocations of the shoulder, hip and small joint dislocations. I performed open reduction of fractures and k-wire fixations of common fractures. I performed tendon and nerve repairs in acute traumatic injuries and managed the initial debridement and stabilization of compound fractures both supervised and independently. In my final year I independently performed open reduction and internal fixation of fractures and assisted in various procedures related to Arthoplasty, Arthroscopy, spinal stabilization and decompression surgeries. I also managed the out-patient department of our hospital and accident and emergency cases including poly traumas as part of my training for the award of the Degree ‘Diplomate of National Board’. This hospital is a tertiary care centre (attached to a medical college) with a bed strength of about 600 including super-specialties like plastic surgery and vascular surgery departments.
As part of the course requirements I undertook a thesis presentation Title- STUDY OF BIPOLAR HEMIARTHROPLASTY OF HIP JOINT FOR TREATMENT OF INTRACAPSULAR NECK FEMUR FRACTURES IN ELDERLY. I actively participated in CMEs state and national conferences and presented papers. I was awarded the degree of ‘Diplomate of National Board’ in Orthopedics in 2012 after clearing the written and practical examination held in Dec 2011.
- Fellow in Adult joint reconstruction and Arthroscopy from July 2012 to December 2012 under the guidance of Dr. SachinTapasvi. As a fellow I am responsible for pre-operative evaluation and planning, OT organization and post-operative care of patients. I have performed procedures under supervision and independently. I am exposed to knee arthroscopy including- cruciate reconstructions, multi-ligament injuries, meniscal repairs, cartilage mosiacplasty, Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation (ACI) and MPFL reconstructions. Shoulder arthroscopy including Rotator cuff repairs, Bankart’s repair and SLAP repairs, Ankle arthroscopy.
- Fellow in Pediatric Orthopedics from January 2013 to july 2013 at Sancheti Institute for Orthopedics and Rehabilitation, under supervision of Dr. SandeepPatwardhan . During my fellowship in Pediatric Orthopedics I was exposed to diagnosing and managing various congenital, developmental, infectious, traumatic, oncological pathologies and deformities.
- Fellow in Shoulder and Elbow surgery: From September 2014 to October 2014, I was training under Dr. Hiroyuki Sugaya at Funabashi Orthopaedic Shoulder & Elbow center, Funabashi, Japan. During my training here, I was exposed to Variety of Joint reconstruction and Replacement procedures including Bankart Repair, Bony Bankart Repair, Latarjet Procedure, Remplessage Procedure, Massive Rotator cuff Repair, Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty, Total Shoulder Arthroplasty, Elbow Arthroscopy etc.
- Asia Pacific Arthoplasty Society Travelling Fellow: From April 2018 to May 2018. I was training for 3 weeks at Sydney, Australia and 3 weeks in India at 7 different centers under 9 different surgeons. During my training here, I was exposed to Variety of Joint reconstruction and Replacement procedures including Primary Hip and Knee Arthroplasty, Unicondylar Knee Arthroplasty, Revision Hip and Knee Arthroplasty, etc.
Publications: Submitted a paper on ‘Evaluation of elbow arthrography in management of lateral condyle fracture of humerus in children’ to Journal of PaediatricOrthopaedics – British Edition.
Current Employment:-Orthopaedic surgeon at Skin to Bone Superspeciality Clinic, Vijayawada from May 2019 till date. Consultant Pediatric Orthopaedic surgeon Rainbow Hospitals ,Vijayawada from Dec ember 2014 till date.
- Senior Resident at Kamineni Institute of Medical Sciences, Narketpally, from August 2013- July 2014.
- Senior Resident at Dr. Pinnamaneni Siddhartha Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Foundation, Gannavaram, from August 2014 till August 2015
- Consultant Ortopaedic Surgeon at Ramesh Hospitals Guntur & Vijayawada from September 2015 till September 2017
- Consultant Orthopaedic surgeon SaiBhaskarHospitals , Vijayawada & Guntur from December 2017 tillApril2019
- Indian Orthopaedic Association
- Indian Arthroscopy Society
- Asia Pacific Arthroplasty Society
My goal: To work for patients with musculoskeletal problems, be it Congenital, developmental, traumatic including sports injuries or advanced arthritis requiring a total joint replacement. My Endeavour has been to train myself with the skills and knowledge to provide the whole gamut of available options so my patients get the best possible care for their condition. I intend to learn, evolve and further hone my skills to be able to provide holistic and evidence based treatment and support to my patients.